Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Storm Is Coming! Sharks Beware...

Dogfish Head Squall IPA (bottle conditioned 90min)

So, after fishing for sharks a week or 2 ago, I decided to the best way to celebrate my 50 pound brown shark was to watch Discovery Channel’s Shark Week and drink a Dogfish Head beer. I know that I could have gone with a Land Shark Lager, but nooo thank you, I’ll pass and besides, Dogfish are actually sharks too. Anyways, I happened to have a bottle of Squall so I busted it out and enjoyed watching sharks tear apart some bait and then watched Air Jaws in ‘Ultra Slow Motion’. Good day.

So quick recap, the Dogfish Head IPA Family (as far as I know) consists of 60 min, 75 min, 90 min, 120min, Burton Baton, and Squall. (let me know if I missed any) And I can officially say the Squall so far is my favorite, it definitely replaces my former favorite, Burton Baton, which is also another variation of the 90 min IPA. Makes me wonder what a bottle-conditioned Burton Baton would taste like....?

The aging process of the Squall definitely smooths out and balances the flavors of the 90 min. The overpowering sweetness of the 90 min has been turned into a nice subtle bite in the aftertaste. The sticky, sugary mouth-feel is nice as well and lingers for the perfect amount of time.


QUICK TASTE

Dogfish Head Squall IPA

Milton, DE

ABV%: 9.00

Beer Style: Double IPA

Appearance: A dark golden brown with a slight red tinge, thin white head

Aromatics: Citrus candy and tangerine smell, malty and carmelly

Taste: Sweet and hoppy, citrus hops and you can taste some spices used in brewing

Notes: Another great addition to the DFH IPA Family. Brewed to honor the Rogue Gallery in Portland, Maine, who released a DFH-designed clothing line in the summer of '09.

Score: 94

No comments:

Post a Comment